Safaruk Zaman Chowdhury
Safaruk Zaman Chowdhury
Ph.D. in Islamic Studies. Area of study: Sufism, SOAS, London, UK;
M.A. Islamic (distinction). SOAS, London, UK;
B.A. Philosophy. Kings College London, London, UK.
A.K.C. Associate of Kings College. Christian Theology. Kings College London, London, UK.
Diplo. Arabic, Ministry of Education, Cairo, Egypt. Accrediting body: Wizarat al-Ta’lim
2020 Safaruk Chowdhury, The Problem of Evil in Islamic Theology. American University Cairo Press, Cairo (in publication).
2020 Safaruk Chowdhury, Biography of Key Kalam Thinkers. Kalam Research and Media, Amman (under contract, forthcoming).
2020 Safaruk Chowdhury, Kalam: A Beginner’s Guide. Kalam Research and Media, Amman (under contract, forthcoming).
2019 Safaruk Chowdhury, A Sufi Apologist of Nishapur: The Life and Thought of Abu ‘Abd al-Rahman al-Sulami. Equinox Publishing. Sheffield.
2008 Al-Arba’in of Shah Waliullah al-Dihlawi. London. Turath Publishing. (translator)
2009 Al-Arba’in on the Excellence of the Quran of ‘Ali al-Qari. London. Turath Publishing.2009 (translator)
2010 Al-Arba’in: On the Duty of Loving the Noble Family of the Prophet Muhammad. London. Turath Publishing. (translator)
2014 The Book of Remembrances (Kitab al-Adhkar) by al-Nawawi. London. Turath Publishing. (co-translator)
Introducing Fiqh Series as well as series on Theology, Sufism and Hadith (London and Cairo: Dar al-Nicosia Publishing).
2014 Introducing Fiqh of Prayer.
2013 Introducing Fiqh of Purification
2013 Introducing Fiqh of Fasting
2009 Introducing Fiqh of Zakah.
2013 Introducing Fiqh of Marital Intimacy.
2013 Introducing Fiqh of Marriage and Divorce.
2013 Introducing Fiqh of Employment.
2013 Introducing the Fiqh of Food and Drink.
2013 Introducing the Fiqh of Clothing.
2013 Introducing Arabic Rhetoric.
2015 Introducing Hadith Studies.
2013 Introducing Early Kalam Controversies.
2016 The Jerusalem Epistle.
2015 Yusuf al-Nabhani: Forty Narrations on the Obligation to Obey the Sultan. (translator)
2016 Forty Narrations on Sufism by Abu ‘Abd al-Rahman al-Sulami (translator)
2016 Advice for a Novice by Abu ‘Abd al-Rahman al-Sulami (translator)
2017 Yusuf al-Nabhani: Forty Narrations on Commanding Right and Forbidding Wrong. (translator)
Current Research Projects
- Resurrection and bodily identity in Islamic thought.
- Moral realism and divine command ethics.
- God and abstract objects.
- Disability, metaphysics and justice.
- Regulative epistemology (John Templeton Foundation research grant award).
- Virtue epistemology (John Templeton Foundation research grant award).
Future Research Projects
Islamic Theology with KR&M.
Beyond Foundationalism Project (John Templeton Grant)
Published Book Reviews
PAPERS PRESENTED IN THE SEMINAR AND CONFERENCES
- ‘Destructibles and Indestructibles: Examining Some Problems Related to Resurrection and Bodily Continuity in Medieval Islamic Theology’. Monday 15th April 2019, BRAIS, Nottingham.
- ‘God was and No Thing was with Him’: Exploring Muslim Views on God and Abstract Objects. Tuesday 22nd February 2019, Helsinki Analytic Theology Workshop, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- Evil in the Biosphere: Towards an Islamic Evolutionary Theodicy. Wednesday 11th April 2018, BRAIS, Exeter.
- The Lord of the Excluded Middle: The Qur’an, Logic and Arguments. Wednesday 12th April 2017, BRAIS, Chester.
- Into the Eschaton: Possible Animal Theodicies in Maturidite Thought: Sunday 29th October 2017, KR&M Conference, Amman, Jordan.
- Modernism and Islamic thought.
- Islamic philosophical theology.
- Arabic linguistics and rhetoric.
- Qur’an studies.
- Islamic law and legal theory.
- Hadith studies.
- Classroom pedagogy.
- Critical thinking in the classroom.
- Islamic Law.
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND OTHERS
- British Association of Islamic Studies (BRAIS),
- Society for the Study of Muslim Ethics (SSME).
- The British Society for the Philosophy of Religion (BSPR).
- The Journal of Analytic Theology (JAT)
- American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- International Qur’an Studies Association (IQSA)